Monday, March 16, 2009

Rough Past Week


Guillain-Barré Syndrome

I had never heard of Guillain-Barre Syndrome until Monday, March 9, 2009. Unfortunately, now I have not only heard of it but have seen its effects in my dad. Guillain-Barré (pronounced: ghee-yan bah-ray) syndrome is a rare medical condition that affects the nerves outside a person's brain and spinal cord. It is scary because it often causes people to have some type of paralysis, but the doctors say Guillain-Barré syndrome is very rare. It is believed to be an autoimmune disease -- one in which the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue...the nerves.

My dad spent the past week in the hospital. He is home now but still with a lot of recovering to do. I was with him and mom most of the week so schooling has come to a screeching halt around here. I think Spring Break might not be much of a break after all.

No comments: