Friday, May 1, 2009

Strange Encounter


Yesterday, I was sitting outside a coffee shop I frequent when the boys have their piano lessons at the seminary. I had Cente with me in the stroller. A 20ish man and woman walked up the sidewalk and paused and looked at me. She went into the coffee shop and he pulled out a bumper sticker, walked over to where I was sitting, and held it close to my face so I could read it.

It said "May we live long, die out...the human extinction project." Then he looked at Cente and then back at me with a weird smile on his face. Pretty creepy.

I told my kids about this episode and they were highly offended. They were not happy that I just laughed in disbelief at the man and did not engage him. They wanted me to take them into the coffee shop and point him out. (I am not sure what they planned to say when they saw him but they were full of bravado.)

I looked up the organization when I got home, and sure enough, founded here in Portland, it calls for a mass reproductive suicide: end reproduction, end the human race, solve the world's problems. Yikes. Almost makes me want to have another baby to protest the evil and anti-God- the-Creator and life-giver stance of this group.

(The VHEMT above stands for Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.)

3 comments:

six of us said...

Wow, that is crazy. I don't know what I would have done...though I don't think I am up for having another baby in protest! :)

six of us said...

This has really bothered me and has remained on my mind since my first post...and AHA! I thought of a good response: this world is not my home! I guess it's a sad commentary that if this is all you've got, then maybe you will come up with extreme measures such as this group. But praise God for this hope--this world is not our home!

Anonymous said...

Hi Camille, That was a strange encounter for sure. Uncle Bub and I looked up "monument to population control" (google) and read about the Georgia Stonehenge. It is interesting and very anti-God. These people are probably all a part of that plan. Aunt Jan