Monday, August 31, 2009

Last night before the school year begins...


I have a new strategy for school this year.

Usually, I over-plan, I over-buy (curriculum, crayons, those markers on sale at Target...etc.) I go 0ver-board with my grandiose visions of all we are going to accomplish during the year.

After 9 years of that style of teaching... I am changing my tune.

We are taking one day...at a time.

My goal tomorrow is to have everyone at the table for a hot breakfast, afterwhich I will read aloud to them from the Bible and a book called "Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church." If that goes well, we will open our math books and begin with Lesson One.

I remember as a first year public school teacher the encouragement that if you can make it to Christmas Break, you can make it as a teacher. Tomorrow, I think that if we can make it to nap time, we will be able to make it to the end of the week.

1 comment:

six of us said...

I L*O*V*E your new strategy...do you mind if I join you? I am so unprepared, and completely behind schedule this year...I told Jason it will probably be a good thing because there is NO WAY I can have high expectations about tomorrow! So before my early bedtime tonight I laid out my Bible, a book I will read out loud to the kids, a book for Anna and Karissa to read to me, a reading list from which Ben and Ellie will choose an independent read, and multiplication charts for review. That is all we're doing TOMORROW. Not sure about day after tomorrow yet...but that's okay! It's my new strategy. :)