Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Olympics are coming...

I loved the Olympics when I was a kid...especially the figure skating and gymnastics competitions. The first Olympics I remember watching were the 1976 Olympics when I was 9. I dreamed I would compete someday just like Dorothy Hamill. I lived in Alaska so I remember watching her skate and then walking to the school playground ice rink and trying to spin and jump.

So now when the Olympics are on, I get nostalgic and lose all self-control spending hours that 2 weeks in front of the T.V. screen. I know there is supposed to be all this goodwill between countries and now that the iron curtain has fallen, we all supposed to get along. But I grew up in the era where the Soviets were bad and the East Germans cheated. I might occasionally cheer for a Great Britain or Canadian athlete if there were no Americans in the mix... but basically I wanted the Americans to beat the socks off of everyone. Sweep the medal round. Show no mercy. It was fun to wave the flag and get all patriotic. So I'm ignoring the current political correctness and we are going to be cheering for "USA...USA...USA..."

No comments: