Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Surgery Plans Interrupted


I went to the doctor for a pre-surgery consultation for carpal tunnel surgery and after looking at my hands and wrists, the hand surgeon told me that I may have an underlying condition that caused the ct... he immediately sent me to radiology and the lab for xrays of my hands and wrists and 5 blood tests. His office cancelled my surgery and I will return to his office for results of the tests in 2 weeks. I think what I have is rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know for sure but I have all the symptoms I have seen listed and have had pain and swelling present progressively for 2 years.


I was in bed last night feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have been thinking that the pain is my choice because I was delaying surgery...that at any time I could pick up the phone and schedule surgery and it would go away. Now I am faced with the possibility it might be chronic and progressive. I comforted myself today when I looked down at my aching fingers and lumpy wrists with the thought that it is good to be a christian. Someday I'll get a new body. Meanwhile I have a lot of research to do and some healthier living to commit to I think. Of course, my self-diagnosis may be wrong. I will let you know.

1 comment:

six of us said...

I'm so sorry, Camille. You have been so amazing, living without complaining (at least to me!) with this pain. I will be praying for wisdom and a plan that results in relief for you.