Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lord of the Flies


Natalie and I were discussing 8th grade literature with Meredith, one of Nan's friends from church. It turns out that she and Natalie have read a lot of the same books in school this year, including Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird. Meredith also mentioned that she had read Lord of the Flies for school as well.

Lord of the Flies is a very intense book dealing with the dark side of human nature and I had not intended to have the kids read it until high school. But the more I have been thinking about it, the more benefit I see to reading it now. We are reading about worldviews and discussing the nature of man for school right now and I think Lord of the Flies will compliment our studies. So I went to Goodwill yesterday and bought a copy of the book as well as the Cliff Notes for me (containing vocabulary, comprehension questions, and essay topics...Yay!). We start Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read that book in college and found it pretty horrifying. The worst nightmare was for the kid to get his glasses broken.I really identified with him.

Mom