Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Morning Read Alouds



We read aloud in the morning after breakfast and at night before bed. The kids are enjoying these two books in the morning. The first, The Deadliest Monster: A Christian Introduction to Worldviews, makes the case that there is a fundamental difference between Christian thinking and every other approach to the world. To make this point, the author uses Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as the non-Christian 'monster' and Robert Lewis Stevenson's Mr. Hyde as the Christian 'monster.' Even Levi is tracking well with this book so far probably due to the monster motif. He asked me to read it at bedtime as well.

We have also begun The Complete Book of Christian Heroes by Dave and Neta Jackson. It tells the stories of men and women who have made courageous choices to follow Christ and were willing to sacrifice even their lives for what they believed. I am hoping it will encourage and challenge my kids. I do not know what the future holds, but I am convinced that the world in which my children will be adults will be more hostile to the cause of Christ. I feel ill equipped to parent my kids for what they may face, but I hope books like these will help them ask what purpose God has for their lives and give them a picture of what it looks like to live for Christ.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Mrs. Wright had us read the first chapter of The Deadliest Monster for worldview class...it sounds like a great book. I need to finish it!