Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Poetry


We have been memorizing a lot of poetry this fall. I am amazed at how quickly the kids memorize. Some we have learned thus far are:

Whole Duty of Children
At the Seaside
Purple Cow
Jemima
Just to Say
Destruction of Sennacherib
Because I could not stop for death
Stopping By Woods
The Road Not Taken

We've also learned a number of silly rhymes which I hear recited daily whether I wish to or not.

We are memorizing the following for Thanksgiving: (I am posting them here so I can just bring up my blog to check their wording when they recite them.)
We Gather Together

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens his will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to his name: He forgets not his own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, All glory be thine!

We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!
Amen

I Ate Too Much
"I ate too much turkey,
I ate too much corn,
I ate too much pudding and pie,
I'm stuffed up with muffins
and much too much stuffin',
I'm probably going to die.

I piled up my plate
and I ate and I ate,
but I wish I had known when to stop,
for I'm so crammed with yams,
sauces, gravies, and jams
that my buttons are starting to pop.

I'm full of tomatoes
and french fried potatoes,
my stomach is swollen and sore,
but there's still some dessert,
so I guess it won't hurt
if I eat just a little bit more."
- Jack Prelutsky,

WHEN THE FROST IS ON THE PUNKIN

When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock,

And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin' turkey-cock,

      And the clackin' of the guineys, and the cluckin' of the hens,
      And the rooster's hallylooyer as he tiptoes on the fence;
      O, it's then's the times a feller is a-feelin' at his best,
      With the risin' sun to greet him from a night of peaceful rest,
      As he leaves the house, bareheaded, and goes out to feed the stock,
      When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.

      They's something kindo' harty-like about the atmusfere
      When the heat of summer's over and the coolin' fall is here--
      Of course we miss the flowers, and the blossums on the trees,
      And the mumble of the hummin'-birds and buzzin' of the bees;
      But the air's so appetizin'; and the landscape through the haze
      Of a crisp and sunny morning of the airly autumn days
      Is a pictur' that no painter has the colorin' to mock--
      When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.

      The husky, rusty russel of the tossels of the corn,
      And the raspin' of the tangled leaves, as golden as the morn;
      The stubble in the furries--kindo' lonesome-like, but still
      A-preachin' sermuns to us of the barns they growed to fill;
      The strawstack in the medder, and the reaper in the shed;
      The hosses in theyr stalls below--the clover over-head!--
      O, it sets my hart a-clickin' like the tickin' of a clock,
      When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock!

      Then your apples all is gethered, and the ones a feller keeps
      Is poured around the celler-floor in red and yeller heaps;
      And your cider-makin' 's over, and your wimmern-folks is through
      With their mince and apple-butter, and theyr souse and saussage, too! ...
      I don't know how to tell it--but ef sich a thing could be
      As the Angels wantin' boardin', and they'd call around on me--
      I'd want to 'commodate 'em--all the whole-indurin' flock--
      When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock!




No comments: