Thursday, September 18, 2008

Beware "The Epic of Gilgamesh"


One of Nan and Ethan's readings for this week is "The Epic of Gilgamesh." It is considered to be a masterpiece of ancient literature and recounts the great adventures of the Mesopotamian King Gilgamesh. I purchased a translation recommended in our Veritas Press Omnibus curriculum.

We read it and discussed it. So far, so good...until I decided that to reinforce what we are learning, I would also have the kids listen to the book and perhaps double their retention. I checked it out on tape from the library and on the way to church last night, I put in the first cassette. The kids sighed and, I am pretty sure that they rolled their eyes as well. (I was driving and unable to see.) As the classic tale of friendship, love, and revenge began I noticed the terms were a little more descriptive than our book. An early event in the tale is the beast/creature Enkidu is seduced by a prostitute from the temple of Ishtar in order to tame him and make him like a man. Our official version uses "biblical" language such as "they lay together." This version must have been the R-rated one...I nearly ran off the road trying to hit the stop button. The kids were laughing. Nan said "I didn't read that part." And Ethan joined in "What are you teaching us, Mom?" Yikes. They got more education than I bargained for.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like how you translate/paraphrase something can make a difference.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Ugg!!!!! :)
Natalie

Anonymous said...

ok-that is really really funny!