Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Science and Sermons

We learned about the scientific method today. We put the steps into practice experimenting with the best sweetener to add to yeast. We tried molasses, brown sugar, and white sugar. Molasses produced the most dramatic results.

Tonight is our first theology/sermon evening. We will begin tonight listening to the first in a sermon series by Mark Driscoll on basic theology. Tonight's sermon is entitled "Trinity: God is". I just downloaded it to the computer to be ready and noticed that it is over an hour.

I've heard of people pushing for shorter sermons arguing that people today just can't sit through more than 30 minutes of preaching. I find it interesting that Driscoll's church is full of people many young and recently saved who eagerly sit through his hour long messages. I wonder if they are trained to sit that long, or if perhaps his preaching is so engaging that time flies by, or perhaps they are just hungry to hear from God, or perhaps ... who knows. Anyway, I am going to "train" my kids to listen for that long and I hope they will learn to listen well and attentively to preaching and that it will develop in them a hunger to hear good teaching.

We'll see... this is all a big experiment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LEVI CHEATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Our science experiment was not a contest. Don't turn everything into a competition! If you keep it up, I'll send you to bed early then I win and you lose.

qwerty said...

You don't know me, but I happened across your blog and read what you said about long sermons. I believe that churches today are losing there fire for the things of God. I and my family attend a Church wherein the pastor preaches for about an hour (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less). I think that the idea that the youth today can't handle it is a total mith. There are kids in my Church group that are under the age of ten and are able to sit though it easily. My prayer is that God would raise up the Christian youth of America to fear Him and love Him with all of there heart, soul, mind, and strength. Also, that they would turn their eyes off the things of this world and on to Him and His work.

Susan said...

That's news to me about molasses mixing with yeast. I guess it must have some sugar in it or?

Susan