Monday, September 1, 2008

The Point of Poetry



Levi asked me today what was the point of memorizing poetry. I gave him a great explanation about the beauty of poetic language and its ability to convey emotion and human experience in a unique and powerful way. He said "So. I don't get it. What's the point?

Then he proceeded to argue "Mom, suppose I want to be a policeman when I grow up and I go to interview for the job. If the guy asks me what I know how to do and I tell him I can recite 'The Spider and the Fly' he'll think I am crazy. So mom...what is the point?"

I laughed at him and said maybe the interviewer would be more impressed if Levi knew "Casey at Bat". Levi agreed with me and that was the end of that discussion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Purple Cow? Do you think the police man would be impressed with Purple Cow?

Susan said...

I can tell Levi is a baseball fan.

Susan