Tuesday, September 9, 2008

About Ethan...



Ethan has been captured by the astronomy bug. For Christmas, his grandparents gave him a telescope and this summer he has put it to good use. Most evenings with a clear sky, he is out in our backyard searching for the planets or other night wonders. Last night after Bible Study, I wanted him to get in bed but he begged me to allow him just a few minutes to look at the sky. He called me outside to show me Jupiter in his telescope and then to show me twin stars.

When I finally drug him inside, he said "Can I have just a few minutes to write my observation down, Mom?" What! I asked him if he had been doing that all along and he told me that each evening he records in one of his little notebook the interesting things he was able to find.

We were in Borders a couple weeks ago and he was looking through the astronomy books. He decided they were all too expensive (he is frugal as well) and when we got home he asked to get on Amazon. He was able to find the two books he liked on Amazon, used, at about a fifth of the price they were at Borders. And since he had a $20 gift certificate from his birthday, he was able to purchase them both and still have money to spare. And he had the joy of anticipating their arrival for the next week. He has read them thoroughly and every evening studies the sky map that came with one book.

It is a joy to have a child that is so interested in learning something and through no effort on my part. Ethan has always had a bent towards the sciences. It will be interesting to see where it takes him. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday where they were going to test my wrists for Carpal Tunnel. It involved hooking me up to a machine and sending electrical shocks down my arms. I thought Ethan would want to go watch. He absolutely refused though. I said "But I thought you wanted to be a doctor Ethan." He was indignant. "I hate hospitals and being around sick people. I won't be that kind of doctor. I want to do research mom...in a lab." Well, well. We'll see.
(I just noticed his PJs...all in keeping with this theme.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really should buy Ethan a 12" SC telescope.